Application startup error with Secutor Prime Standard

General support questions for the Secutor Prime product.
blankind
Contributor

Application startup error with Secutor Prime Standard

Postby blankind » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 am

I have a Secutor Prime version that is licensed as Secutor Prime Standard, but I am finding that after entering the license key and starting up the product, I get an "An error occurred while starting the application" error dialog. When the Secutor Prime window appears, the titlebar reads "Secutor Prime Free (Windows Vista x86)" rather than "Secutor Prime Standard" as it should. I am running Secutor Prime version 3, build 3015, on the Windows Vista NIST FDCC Q4 2009 VHD. Is there a log file that I can refer to for more information?

gunnar
Site Admin

Postby gunnar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Yes, under the application installation directory there is a "logs" directory which may have more than one log file, depending on where an error occurs and what logging options are enabled.

The default application install directory is "%PROGRAMFILES%\Secutor\Secutor Prime"

If this error is happening on application startup it may occur before the logging system has initialized. In that case you can log additional errors in the application launcher by manually starting it from the command line as:

SP.exe --l4j-debug

That should give additional information recording any issues on application startup.

blankind
Contributor

Postby blankind » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I turned on the writing of the error log file in the settings and unfortunately nothing about the startup error is being written to the log file. Might the error be far enough upstream from the Secutor Prime window display that the connection to the error log has not yet been established? This error was not triggered when using a slightly older version of Secutor Prime Standard (current as of November 2009), so I wonder if something changed in the startup logic in this latest version. Is there anything else that I can try? Is there a phone number or email address that I can contact independently of the online forum to get additional assistance?

blankind
Contributor

Postby blankind » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:35 pm

To clarify, I started the Secutor Prime application with the debug flag and still nothing is being written to the log file (and I am just getting a list of successful registry calls in the windows_native.dbg file). Also, in the Help > Activate dialog, the product is listed as Secutor Prime Standard with a license expiring on 2/9/11. The main window still refers to Secutor Prime Free, though.

gunnar
Site Admin

Postby gunnar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 pm

To be clear, when using the "--l4j-debug" option to enable debugging of the application launcher, the log file created will be in the application directory, not the "logs" subdirectory. The name of the log file will be "launch4j.log".

Do you have a copy of Java from Sun installed on your system? If so, what version (you can determine this by running "java -version" from the command shell)? Did you originally install Secutor Prime using the full installer or using the Update installer? If you used the full installer, you will have a directory under Program Files called "vm" -- the path should be "%PROGRAMFILES%\Secutor\vm".

If you a recent copy of Java installed it may interfere with the embedded copy of Java installed by the Secutor Prime Full installer. To remedy that, rename the directory "%PROGRAMFILES%\Secutor\vm" to something else, such as "vm.BACKUP" and try starting Secutor Prime again. The application launcher should now be able to locate the most current version of the Java runtime and use that.

If you would like to contact support directly, you can use the email address "Support@ThreatGuard.com". If you do so, please include the name of your licensing contact or organization so that we can open a trouble ticket under the proper contact.

blankind
Contributor

Postby blankind » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 am

Here is the information from the launch4j log file (thanks for pointing me to the proper location for it):

<<CmdLine>>

Is there anything in the log that suggests what the issue is before I explore whether it is a Java VM version problem?

blankind
Contributor

Postby blankind » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:11 am

The log file contents were stripped from my previous post. Here they are:

CmdLine: C:\Program Files\Secutor\Secutor Prime\SP.eexe --l4j-debug
WOW64: no
Working dir: C:\Program Files\Secutor\Secutor Prime\.
Bundled JRE: ..\vm
Check launcher: C:\Program Files\Secutor\Secutor Prime\..\vm\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Launcher: C:\Program Files\Secutor\Secutor Prime\..\vm\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args: -Djava.library.path=platform -Xmx256M -DJAVA_ASSISTIVE=OFF -jar "C:\Program Files\Secutor\Secutor Prime\SP.exe"
Args length: 111/32768 chars

blankind
Contributor

Postby blankind » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 am

My last comment here for right now is that I checked and I do not have Java installed on this test machine (as I believe I noted, I am using the FDCC NIST Windows Vista image from Q4 of 2009 to be sure that I am testing in a controlled environment). I also uninstalled, delete all Secutor Prime files and folders, and then reinstalled (using the full installer as I did before) and the problem persists. If you can't provide any additional troubleshooting guidance, I'll contact Tech Support.

gunnar
Site Admin

Postby gunnar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks -- looks like there is no problem logged on startup, even though that's where the error message is originating from. Nice little mystery there.

I will re-instantiate that FDCC image and see if I can reproduce what you are seeing.

Despite the mislabel on Prime activation level, are you able to perform the tests that you need to?

A couple other things you can try:

1) Skip the application launcher and force application startup directly. You can do this from a cmd shell by changing to the Secutor Prime installation directory and running:

..\vm\java.exe -Xmx256m -Djava.library.path=platform SP.exe

As a side benefit, this will then run as a console application so any console errors from the vm will then be visible.

2) Rename the embedded vm directory as mentioned before and install the latest Java VM from Sun ( http://java.sun.com ), then re-run Secutor Prime.

blankind
Contributor

Postby blankind » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks for the valuable help on this issue. To answer a few things:

(1) Yes, I was still able to perform the FDCC certification testing that I needed to despite this startup

error.

(2) I ran the suggested java.exe command (modifying to look in ..\vm\bin, not ..\vm, so I'm not sure if

there is an installer problem there that you need to take a look at). I got an error back from the call

that reads:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: SP/exe
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: SP.exe
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: SP.exe. Program will exit.

(3) I renamed the vm folder to vm.old and the installed Java Runtime 2.6 version 18 and the same startup error is occurring.

gunnar
Site Admin

Postby gunnar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:15 pm

My apologies, I copied the command line a bit off. It should be

..\vm\bin\java.exe -Xmx256m -Djava.library.path=platform -jar SP.exe

Also, I have verified that a bug is causing the label in the application bar to show the wrong activation level, but it does correctly unlock the licensed features. This bug will be fixed in the next update to Prime, which is currently expected by the end of February (give or take, depending on version 1.3.x.x of the FDCC content is publicly released).

blankind
Contributor

Postby blankind » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks again for the help. I confirmed that running the following command:

..\vm\bin\java.exe -Xmx256m -Djava.library.path=platform -jar SP.exe

allows Secutor Prime Standard to startup without an error.

Return to “Secutor Prime Support”