Java machine crashing at the start of an assessment

General support questions for the Secutor Prime product.
tegist
Contributor

Java machine crashing at the start of an assessment

Postby tegist » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm running Secutor Prime Build 3023 on Windows 2008 R2 x64. Latest version of the Jave 64-bit JRE (downloaded today). I installed Secutor in 64-bit mode using the guidance in "64-bit Windows assessments using Secutor Prime". Both Secutor and Javaw are running as administrator.

When I execute Secutor directly, I get the same startup error discussed in "Application startup error with Secutor Prime Standard". In addition, once I start an assessment I get a dialog with:

Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Please close the program

At that point Secutor dies.

The Windows App log has:

Faulting application name: javaw.exe, version: 6.0.230.5, time stamp: 0x4cde734a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6cd2
Faulting process id: 0x9bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbadf8440f9db6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9a3eeffd-19eb-11e0-91a9-9aac941c3eca

If I launch the program from the command line:
..\vm\jre6\bin\java.exe -Xmx256m -Djava.library.path=platform -jar SP.exe
using the guidance in "Application startup error with Secutor Prime Standard" things seem to work fine. However, that's a right royal pain in someplace or another.
Any thoughts?
Tom Gist

tegist
Contributor

Java machine crashing at the start of an assessment - Update

Postby tegist » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:37 am

I was able to create a shortcut with the command line it in it. If I then right-click on the shortcut and select "Run as administrator", things work. Still get the "Application startup irror with Secutor Prime Standard" error, however.
Tom Gist

tegist
Contributor

Java machine crashing - update 2

Postby tegist » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Oops. Now not even the shortcut works. It's still crashing Java.
Weird thing is that it worked once or twice, then quit.
I'm going to clean out everything and reinstall
Tom

tegist
Contributor

Reinstall fixed things (for now)

Postby tegist » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 pm

I removed and then reinstalled both Java and Secutor. It's working from the shortcut again.

gunnar
Site Admin

Postby gunnar » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:40 am

Mr. Gist,

The underlying cause of this problem appears to be an unresolved problem with Windows file permissions introduced by Microsoft starting with Windows Vista in their ongoing efforts to increase overall system security.

The latest release of Secutor Prime includes workarounds for this problem, but these are a best-effort attempt solution and not a 100% solution. Since Microsoft has not yet indicated any intention to release a patch for this we are continuing to look for a completely reliable solution. In the mean time, a few additional workarounds you can try:

1) Change the owner and permissions on the Secutor Prime installation directory to everyone/full access. NOTE: This is *not* a recommended solution, but an interim step that would help verify if file permissions is indeed the problem in this case.

2) Remove the 64-bit JVM and go back to using the 32-bit JVM. Secutor Prime now has the ability to target which subsystem to evaluate regardless of which bit mode it is being run as, and the 32-bit JVM has had less of a tendency to be affected by this problem. If you always use this installation of Secutor Prime to evaluate the 64-bit part of the OS you can set that option via "Tools --> Settings --> Assessment --> Target Bit Mode"

NOTE: since this problem is related to a runtime resource becoming completely locked between runs of Secutor Prime, it will be necessary to completely de-install Secutor Prime, manually be certain that the entire installation directory is completely removed, then re-install it.

3) De-install Secutor Prime and re-install it to a new location that does not fall under "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"

Also, make certain that Secutor Prime is always run as Administrator. This flag should be set by the installer so that using the SP shortcut always launches correctly (you can verify this by right-clicking on the SP.exe application and checking under "Properties --> Compatibility". Also, if you have UAC enabled and do not accept to run as Administrator, that may lock the file such that the next run will crash the JVM.

tegist
Contributor

It seems to be fine

Postby tegist » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Running with the 32-bit Java seemed to fix things. Thanks.
Tom

Return to “Secutor Prime Support”